RE: [Harp-L] golden melody harps

I recently had to buy a few golden melodies because most of my
Filisko are all used up... as I wait for more I tried a few out of
the box harps. One thing about the Filisko is they do not hurt my
hands with the corners after a night of playing.  The only harp that
passed that test was the golden melody. I tried the sp20, GMs, Big
Rivers etc  and found myself coming back to the darkness of tone and
comfort of the Golden Melody.

I'm happy to see Hohner is now using screws to hold the reed plates
together. Before the Filiskos I used to play GMs. I've given
everything else a fair shot - including other customizers.  Nothing
compares to the Filiskos and short of those I'd rather play a Golden
Melody. They sound great and feel great. Most of mine were pretty
easy to play right out of the box.  All of them had issues with hole
three in that it was more difficult for me to articulated the various
bend using that hole.  After a little tweaking I have a nice set of
back up harps.  The SP20s that I set up play well but I don't like
them as well as the GMs.

For me, the Herrings, out of box marine bands, Big Rivers and Blues
Harps are in a different class that is less than appreciated.  I
didn't bother with the Lee Oskars or Huangs as they are not good for
Overblowing.

Peace,

Chris Michalek