Re: [Harp-L] Yahoo Groups vs regular email list questions

Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:36:32 -0700
From: fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Yahoo Groups vs regular email list questions

>As the Yahoo archive grew in size we reached the size limit and had
>problems with disappearing posts.  Something at Yahoo has since changed
>and we just lose the stuff off of the bottom of the stack.

The original Yahoo archive 'harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' was setup by "someone",
and no one knows who it was, or how to access the group.
It had a storage limit that was reached, after about 10 days of fruitless
inquiries to find out who set it up and how to access it, I set up
harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and got the admin to redirect harp-l emails
to it for archiving.

  When that fills up, we simply rename the group, and create a new one
without losing a single post.  It appears the storage limit has been
increased dramatically since harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx filled up.

  Its worth noting that YahooGroup archive sites do batch updates once a
day.  On rare occassions posts simply don't appeared.  Its a free service,
we get what we pay for.  Its a last resort back up which proved very useful
during the last couple of years before fjm, Ben and friends setup Harp-L's
brand new shiney services.
With the when the new harp-l archives project is finished, it'll serve as a
much more accessable and reliable service.

>Regarding the archive on Yahoo, it has been edited occasionally.  I
>removed a very ugly political off topic exchange and I also will remove
>accidental duplicate posts.  Someone posted personal information once,
>that got removed to preserve their privacy.  Very little if any content
>editing occurs on the Yahoo archive.  I personally have never removed
>any posts from Chris Michalek.  I'm not aware of anybody else doing so.

Neither am I.  There is an extremely limited number of people with access,
and only the official admin of Harp-L makes changes to it... right now
thats fjm.

Emails have failed to make it through to the yahoo archives - no one can
tell us why.

> There is some discontinuity between the Official Harp-l-archive and
>the semi official Yahoo harp-l-archive.  The vast majority of this
>discrepancy is due to the space limitations at Yahoo.  The Official
>archive is considered sacrosanct.   Try searching on a departing
>member's personal attack of the listowner, it's still there and it ain't
>going anywhere.

Good.

> fjm harp-l-listowner

-- G.  Not harp-l-listowner