[Harp-L] RE: golden melody harps

Chris wrote:
"When I first started playing ... I used Marine Band harps and briefly switched to the GM harps. At that time, I found that I had a lot of problems with reeds going flat, so I switched back to the MB. After more experience and learning to relax my playing, I tried GM harps again and have stuck with them. ... I thought I would bring this all up to say that you may want to be aware of the possible early failure problem I experienced."

I've had a VERY similar experience. Back in high school, when I was just starting to mess around with the harp, I flatted out Golden Melody harps faster than anything else. For years, I was convinced there was a problem with these harps, that THEY were somehow defective. ;-) Now, though, after putting in a good bit of time in the woodshed and learning to play softer with more resonance, I get a lot of mileage out of a Golden Melody (and since they're now screwed together, it's easy to touch up the tuning when need be). When family asks what I want to Christmas or birthday or whatever, I always tell them I'd love a Golden Melody or Marine Band harp. I love 'em both.
MN