[Harp-L] Peg Story Verified

I wrote to Eddie Hubbard, long credited with playing the Harmonicats' "Peg O' my Heart" on his Chicago radio station in Chicago - the very first time it aired. It literally became an "overnight success" as we all know, but I wanted to hear the story directly from Eddie, who is still an active DJ in Dallas. Here is Eddie's response for all to read:

"I still feel very fortunate to have been part of the Harmonicats success.
The story is that they had just finished recording two songs at Universal Studios which was two blocks away from my radio studio.
Within a short time they brought in an acetate of each song.
I needed a short song to end the first hour of my show and saw that Peg was just short enough so I played it first.
I never had a chance to play the second song because the switchboard lit up like a sky rocket. I have never to this day seen such instant reaction to a song or artists. It was overwhelming.
I remember those guys fondly. They were top notch people.
Eddie Hubbard"

--

Danny Wilson
PO Box 5061