From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Joe and Cass Leone
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 9:29 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Howling Wolf

On Dec 10, 2004, at 10:39 PM, Larry Haston wrote:

> Joe and Cass Leone wrote:
>
>>> Do you know what network that's on? The channel numbers in my area
>>> are probably different.
>
> It was on the True Stories channel.

Yes, True Stories East. I also have True Stories West. It will be
repeated this week.

>   Immediately after the show ended, I checked Amazon and the same show
> is available on  DVD for about 15 bucks.

  Of course, we could always slip in a video tape :0  As Tom Albanese
said repititious listening to him is where it's at. I'm gonna try
really hard to catch it again. It's almost worth the price just to see
the serious look on Sam Phillip's face. (Not to mention the Chess
kid...who seems to NEVER comb his hair :)

>    What I loved most about Wolf was his 2 hole draw vibrato, like
> nobody else.

  When you say "2 hole" are we talking about TWO holes or the NUMBER 2
hole?

>  I was impressed to hear that after a lifetime as a musician, he took
> music lessons and learned to read and write when he was in his
> fifties.  I always liked his music but after seeing the documentary, I

> felt a new respect for him as a person.

  He certainly didn't have a "bad guy" image. Quite the contrary. It
seems as if he was always looking out for his guys and even went so far
as to provide as best he could for job security/workman's insurance?
MAN, when the hell did we ever hear of THAT before?

As a long  long time advocate of the "Delta" style (as opposed to the
Chicago style), I found it refreshing that he stayed true to his roots
and wouldn't sell out by going for the more commercial sell. Now, wait
a minute, before anyone starts tossing pies. It's not that I don't like
Chi., I just like Delta better. It's more "laconic".

When I was hoboing around the country back in "60" and gravitated to
the NOLA/Baton Rouge area, while working in a ship repair yard, I got
to hear a lot of wonderful old timers. Unfortunately, Howling wasn't
one of them as he had already gone north.

  JoJo