Re: [Harp-L] What? No bass player?

In the early 1970's, there was a great blues band out of Western Massachussets called Cricket Hill, it had no guitars at all!

Cricket Hill was led by George Nasser, the lead singer was Helen Schneider (she's now singing cabaret in Berlin!) George played a mean-ass B3, a woman (forgot her name) played mostly rhythm fills and some leads on an upright piano, a great kid drummer (wish I could remember his name) and - that's it! B3, Piano, drums and vocals to die for.

Oh, occasionally people like James Cotton would sit in on harp as the band toured mostly New England, backing all the greats, while turning down record contracts for various reasons. I spent a summer (1971?) as their roadie. Al Kooper still owes me for that case of Ballantine Ale I had stashed in the green room, which he and his band drank between sets.

BUT as to lacking a bass guitar, there was a catch: the piano-player also had one of those old Fender Keyboard Bass devices, I think maybe two octaves, it sat on top of her upright. 'Cuz ya gotta have, as the Family Stone sang, "a little bit o'bottom, to make it easy to move your feet..."

-Dave Fertig

So do I win a drink or what?