Re: [Harp-L] re: rhythm playing

The example at this link shows a shuffle (chug) that goes out of time. http://trinity.psnw.com/~dlmurray/images/time1.JPG

The question from me is that does this tell you that if you're playing behind the beat (which is the way blues is REALLY played, along with most black music genres as a rule) or ahead of the beat (which a lot of rock, rockabilly, and some country music is played)???? Why??? Because metronomes only can be programmed to click RIGHT ON TOP of the beat, and this is important when it comes to rhythm and groove

Bob,
In the example shown at the link I was trying to lead the metronome with the hut and hit it with the ta (hut-ta hut-ta hut-ta (leading)). Without debating the virtue, or lack of it, for that timing you can see that in the section of the capture that is shown, I can be seen as going a bit too slow so that the hut-ta straddled the metronome beat at the right after falling behind from the leading play at the left. If you have Audacity recording while you play you have a visual display of where you are with respect to the beat provided by the metronome. Since the original question was "how can I tell if my timing is right?", this is one answer since you can see where you are playing including attempts to lead or lag the metronome beat. Since it is a linear display in the time domain you could see the consistency of your lead or lag. I suspect that other sound recording/editing software can do the same thing, I just use Audacity because it's free and I'm a cheapskate. :0)

Peace and music,
Dave