Re: [Harp-L] rhythm playing

Chris Michalek wrote:

My definition:

A musical line is a series of notes played in a lyical fashion. Or
notes strung together that are seemingly underscored by words of
beauty.

My intial comment was by no means a dis on Jason Ricci, he's my
current favorite harmonica player.

---- Original Message ---- From: dfoley1647@xxxxxxxxxx To: Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [Harp-L] rhythm playing Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:55:26 -0500

Chris Michalek wrote: I think rhythm is the most important aspect to

person playing.
All aspects of music are equally important.

Chris wrote: To my

ear he's not really playing musical lines, instead he's playing
rhythmic patterns.

Ok Chris....here is the 64 thousand dollar question......what the

hell

constitutes a musical line in your humble opinion? Waiting for your

reply

with bated breath,
respectfully,
Derrick Foley

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com

In jazz there have always been two approaches to improvisation, riffing and melodic. It's an oversimplification to say a given player is purely one or the other, but almost everyone tends toward one direction or the other. I like to listen to horn players for the rhymic patterns. I can't necessarily play the notes they play but there are a lot of patterns I can adapt to my level of technique.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly