Re: [Harp-L] re: rhythm playing

Here is a great test to check your rythm, use a metronome set it around 80-100 beats per minute and play the major scale notes as follows in the middle register:

D up to D starting from 4d
G up to G starting from 6b
C up to C starting from 4b
D **down** to D starting on 8d

Do it in one phrase one note per beat, i.e absolutely no rests. Breathe during interval jumps.

This is a really good test as there are interval jumps, also the unusual starting places trip us up and you have to conquer the great divide each time up or down. The other thing is our lips tend to stick now and then so we lose it.

Once you're good at doing this, you can practice emphasizing individual notes, when we play louder we often play faster unless we've practiced emphasis changes.

To make it easier I suggest you draw the notes on a staff (need not be a real staff, just dots) and underscore the divide notes so you see the divide comming.

At 80 beats as soon as you screw up, you get everything that follows wrong; so its a humbling exercise. After a while (1 or 2 hours of practice over 2 weeks) you get near perfect.

This ended up being the best exercise I ever did. I highly recommend it. It develops your sense of timing and it teaches you timing recovery where you learn to skip a note or shorten one to get back on track and maintain the rythm.

If you can't do this at any speed, then you're in big trouble as it means you play at the speed you can play and that can sound awful.

BTW if you want a real challenge do this exercise on the low register. Its important to bend real time without tripping up. I'm sure any good pro can do it easily at 120 BPM.

As for always playing with a metronome, I would not recommend it unless you want to go insane.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Maglinte" <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>