[Harp-L] Re: Rhythm playing

For me, getting rhythmic strength together came from jamming along endlessly
with my one Isaiah Doc Ross LP. (Yes that was a while ago.) He played a
rhythm instrument (a bass drum?) with his foot, plus guitar and harp. His
rhythm was straightforward and very insistent. I hear a lot of harp players
who don't play clean chords (with tonguing) and do little or no rhythm
backing. Or do it with some pretty harsh sounds. In contrast I do a fair
amount of rhythm backing, trying to stay tasty (NOT loud and overbearing)
and appropriate. No matter what the musical context, it harkens back somehow
to Doc Ross for me.
Also, for those times when I'm playing solo harp (acoustic jam nights with
no guitarist to work with or for kids) that Doc Ross influence is a major
help.
I would agree that learning drums, or in my case bass, also would help. I
don't claim to be much of a bassist but I have noticed that my harp playing
goes up a notch when I've been practising bass.
Harmonica Blu
BluXpress@xxxxxxxxx