Re: PLEASE, let's stop posts on acoustic tone vs. gear lust!

- --Apple-Mail-2--30539739

Hi Michael,

Actually, my acoustic tone posts are satirical. If you'd read some of=20
my posts here in the last month or two, you'll see that I am tired of=20
the same cliched (bleeding obvious) advice being trotted out.

To summarize my view: when someone asks a question about gear lets try=20=

and assume they can play (a basic courtesy) and then give specific=20
gear-related answers, not cliched generalizations. Of course, if=20
someone asks a question and says they are a total newbie, then that's=20
different. But there are a lot of people on this list whose names I=20
have seen here and on the previous incarnation of Harp-L over many,=20
many years, who don't need to be reminded of the acoustic tone thing=20
every eight posts.

The analogy I would draw is that, on guitar forums, when someone asks=20
how to get close to Grant Green's or Charlie Christian's tone, people=20
don't butt in and say, "Don't forget that you have to be able to play=20
the guitar first, tone comes from you not the gear!"

cheers
Andrew

> From: =A0 "Michael Peloquin" < peloquinharp@xxxx >
> Date: =A0 Tue=A0Feb=A017,=A02004=A0 9:46 pm
> Subject: =A0 PLEASE, let's stop posts on acoustic tone vs. gear lust!

> Andrew posts:
>
> >Good tone comes from YOU. I don't think this is mentioned enough in=20=

> this
> >forum. You should never forget it, okay? Indeed, if I was running the
> >country, every second message on Harp-L should spell this out. The=20
> amp and
> >mic just AREN'T important AT ALL.
>
> But Andrew--some on this list have good tone and others eventually=20
> will have
> good tone. Mics & amps make a difference then, huh?
>
> I think that good acoustic tone IS mentioned quite often. I would=20
> guess at
> least once a week. Do we need to hear it daily? Hourly? Every other=20
> post?
>
> Most harmonica instruction is aimed at beginners, why is it that our=20=

> posts
> have to also be?
>
> I know some people think that an amp/mic will make them sound great, I=20=

> know
> that many years ago, I did also. I found out very soon that it did not=20=

> work
> that way.
> I feel that I and many like me are at a point in our musical=20
> development
> where we CAN & WILL discuss our opinions on gear. I'd bet guitar=20
> players
> don't harp on the fact that you must have good acoustic tone before=20
> you can
> plug in and talk about gear.
>
> your pal in harmonica always,
>
> Michael Peloquin

- --Apple-Mail-2--30539739

Hi Michael,

Actually, my acoustic tone posts are satirical. If you'd read some of
my posts here in the last month or two, you'll see that I am tired of
the same cliched (bleeding obvious) advice being trotted out.

To summarize my view: when someone asks a question about gear lets try
and assume they can play (a basic courtesy) and then give specific
gear-related answers, not cliched generalizations. Of course, if
someone asks a question and says they are a total newbie, then that's
different. But there are a lot of people on this list whose names I
have seen here and on the previous incarnation of Harp-L over many,
many years, who don't need to be reminded of the acoustic tone thing
every eight posts.

The analogy I would draw is that, on guitar forums, when someone asks
how to get close to Grant Green's or Charlie Christian's tone, people
don't butt in and say, "Don't forget that you have to be able to play
the guitar first, tone comes from you not the gear!"

cheers

Andrew

<excerpt>

=
maller><smaller>=A0
"Michael Peloquin" <<

<bold>Date: </bold>=A0 Tue=A0Feb=A017,=A02004=A0 9:46 pm=20

<bold>Subject: </bold>=A0 PLEASE, let's stop posts on acoustic tone vs.
gear lust!=20

ADVERTISEMENT=20

=
r><smaller>Andrew
posts:=20

>Good tone comes from YOU. I don't think this is mentioned enough in
this=20

>forum. You should never forget it, okay? Indeed, if I was running the=20=

>country, every second message on Harp-L should spell this out. The
amp and=20

>mic just AREN'T important AT ALL.=20

But Andrew--some on this list have good tone and others eventually
will have=20

good tone. Mics & amps make a difference then, huh?=20

I think that good acoustic tone IS mentioned quite often. I would
guess at=20

least once a week. Do we need to hear it daily? Hourly? Every other
post?=20

Most harmonica instruction is aimed at beginners, why is it that our
posts=20

have to also be?=20

I know some people think that an amp/mic will make them sound great, I
know=20

that many years ago, I did also. I found out very soon that it did not
work=20

that way.=20

I feel that I and many like me are at a point in our musical
development=20

where we CAN & WILL discuss our opinions on gear. I'd bet guitar
players=20

don't harp on the fact that you must have good acoustic tone before
you can=20

plug in and talk about gear.=20

your pal in harmonica always,=20

Michael Peloquin=20