Re: 59 Bassman Limited ---> 57 Twin

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Shannon" <honking_dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l-digest" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 5:30 AM
Subject: 59 Bassman Limited ---> 57 Twin

> Aside from the 'new' 59 Bassman Limited, Fender have
> brought out another laquered tweed amp -- a remake of
> their 57 Twin, 'low' powered at 40W and with dual 5U4
> rectifiers. I wonder if any harl-Lers have tried out
> this amp?
>
> Dave Shannon

Hi Dave,
I haven't tried the reissue of this, but I remember trying out the original
20 years ago. Sound wise, it's not much different than the circuitry of a
'57 Bassman, which also used dual rectifiers, and the reason for the two
rectifiers was to keep the sound cleaner and tighter, and like it's Bassman
counterpart made at the time, is not as harp friendly as the '59 Twin or '59
Bassman, which both used a single 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube. The difference
between the '59 Bassman and '59 Twin was the Twins used 12" speakers (P12R
Jensens) and used a quartet of 5881's. Many who used '57 Twins, like
Bassmans from '55 to '57's would remove one of the rectifier tubes to make
the amp distort more easily.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA