re: channeling the rage and playing in tune with some old blues guys stuff as well

You have to play in tune and to be able to do that you have to work at it. You
can get away with having your bend notes off a little but when your regular
draw notes (especially that damn 5 hole) are off it sounds awful.The best way
to learn is to play with other people and record it. Then you can hear when
you're off. I find I need to get my mouth and tongue lined up right and my
intonation is better. Hard to explain.

As far as being "in the zone" or "chanelling the rage" that's all fun but wait
until you listen back to it. Some days when I feel totally uninspired and
playing from rote, the music is actually damn good. I listen back to the real
inspired stuff and I'm blowing sour notes, playing too much, my rhythm is off
etc.

After 30 years of playing I can tell you that any harp player that can really
play, be it Sonny Terry or John Popper,put a lot of time, effort, and thought
into playing. James Cotton didn't get to be Muddy's harp player because Cotton
played whatever he felt like. The best music comes when you have a top notch
band that's having fun.

Listen, pay attention, practice, play with other people, and have fun.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm