[Harp-L] ADMINISTRATIVE: Big changes at Harp-L redux

Ok, this already went out once on harp-l.com but I'm resending it via
harp-l.org because none of you digest subscribers will ever get to see
this unless I send it again.  We are no longer using majordomo, the last
majordomo list is already sent.  In fact digest subscribers will have
already seen a very confusing digest of behind the scenes conversations
that occured as we planned to migrate the list.  Now I know how the
balloon guy at the convnetion felt.  By the way, harp-l.org is live, the
switch has already occurred.  You can post to either address and it'll get
to the list.  Oh, I did forget to mention a name when I was listing people
who had helped with all of this, actually several, Keith Graham who
generously secured the .org domain name and donated it to harp-l, Dave
Gage who has always owned the .com domain for changing his registration to
point at our dns servers, G  and Pat Missin and Stephen Schneider, Jaime,
and Scorcher for helping road test this puppy.  Many very good suggestions
came out of this group.  Did I emtion that all of this organisation was
accomplished over months without one actual phone conversation being
employed.  You cannot imagine all of the picky little arcane details that
were involved in making this happen.

  Digest subscribers, I have a question for you.  Wait a couple of days
and see what you think about the digest size and frequency.  I've got it
currently set kind os smallish, 32,000 characters before it goes out.
This can be easily changed.  Smaller, larger or just once a day.  You
tell me.  The good news is 32,000 non html characters is a lot smaller
than the previous 40,000 html codes included digests but I think you'll
find there's more actual information in the new posts.  For those of you
who like html please do feel free to turn it on.  It's in the options
menu after you log into your subscription account.  It won't expose you
to viruses.  We stop them at the border now.  Ok, the original message
follows.

While the subscribers who make up Harp-L are as impressive as ever, the
list's hardware and software have long needed an overhaul. Harp-L has
suffered from broken features, downtime, and outmoded software.

We have good news. We've moved to faster hardware and a new service
provider, and we've installed new software to run the list.

The new system is standing by, and tomorrow (Saturday) we will cut over.
Everyone on the list will be getting an email titled "Welcome to the
'Harp-L' mailing list." That's the signal that the new list has gone live.

What does this mean to you?

1) harp-l.org is born
----------------------
You can post as you always have, to harp-l.com

We've also added a new address, harp-l.org. The two addresses go to the
same place and are treated the same way.

We've chosen to make the "official" name of the site harp-l.org, and
messages will say they're from harp-l.org, but whether you use .org or
.com for posting and accessing the site is up to you.

Subscribers with spam filters may need to adjust them so harp-l.org gets
through.

2) Majordomo deposed
your member options. You can access it from the new home page.

There is still a mail interface, too.

3) Passwords

Your password is included in the Welcome email, but if you lose or forget
it, you can ask for it to be mailed to you.

4) harp-l-friends breaks up
---------------------------
harp-l-friends, harp-l-digest, and harp-l are now a single list.

The new software provides no-mail and digest options, and friends and
digest subscribers will be automatically subscribed to Harp-L with the
appropriate options set.

5) Archives are back
--------------------
We have searchable archives again, accessible via the home page or
directly at http://harp-l.org/archives  Initially the archives will
contain only new posts to the list, but we'll be adding a nearly complete
set of posts dating back to the beginning of the list in 1992.

Email addresses in the archives are obscured to thwart spammers.

6) Fine print
change on Saturday, please send a human-readable request to
owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

c) We're almost certain that posts sent anytime Saturday will be delivered
without casualties. But this is the Internet and you have to be brave.

7) Questions?
Ask them on the list, preferably, because others will probably have the
same questions.  Or else write owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx