Re: Finding Gigs

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Delong" <delongj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 8:44 PM
Subject: RE: Finding Gigs

Hi,
That is the absolute truth!!! It ain't no kid's game and you have to do TONS
of self promotion, like it or not. In my experiences, democracies in bands
seldom works, and someone has to do the business end of things, and often
times, you want to delegate others to do certain jobs, but the bandleader
(who usually is the one doing the business end of things), who often has to
shell out more money to get things to happen than the rest of the band (and
the rest of the band are usually the biggest whiners and the last to do
anything), as in any other business, the rule of thumb is FOLLOW UP ON
EVERYTHING!!!! You cannot allow details to slip, because things can go
horribly wrong very quickly. If you take on the belief that you are an
"artiste," and are above doing the business end of things, like promotion,
etc., you're gonna get hurt quick, because  like it or not, you also ARE a
business, and you have to be organized and motivated 24/7 or everything
falls apart.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA