Fwd: Boogie tuned harp

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Philharpn@xxxx wrote:
I have a HOhner 270 that is tuned in "C Boogie" built by John Infande
that I
bought from at a SPAH convention.

I have a sheet with the note layout but that doesn't help me play it.

How is the thing meant to be played?

Any ideas welcome.

It has a
blow CEGA CEGA CEGA
blow button CEbGA
draw           EbFAC
draw button DFGB

Phil Lloyd/AHN
- --- End forwarded message ---

First, you play it in C. Figure that a boogie-woogie tune played in C
will use chords a lot like a 12-bar blues, i.e., C or C6, F or F7,
and G7.

Your blow chord is C with a major 6th (A) added. Your draw chord is a
C minor chord (note the Eb) again with the A added.

Here's about the most basic boogie lick:

C-C Eb-E G-G A-G

The starting C could be played blow or blow-slide (i.e. slide in).

By starting slide-in you can "bleed" over to the Eb, making a bit of
a chordal wash, then let the slide out, still with holes 1 and 2 both
sounding, and arrive on E. G can be played blow slide out or in, or
draw slide-in, your choice, while A can be played blow or draw or
even blow slide-in. If you include adjacent holes, you can find
different ways to play the notes of the lick chordally and with added
rhythmic oomph.

Taking it the purely chordal level, the blow chord is your I chord,
with that characteristic added 6th. Blow slide-in words as a IV chord
(F9) while the draw chord works as another flavor of IV chord (F7).
The draw slide-in is the V7 chord (G7).

Winslow