Re: The great divide...

The licks Tim describes are good for learning note positions up there, but
I don't find practicing licks any more interesting than doing exercises. I
got comfortable with the top end of the harp by learning fiddle tunes.
Playing those fast melodies (mostly in first position on the top end of a
low D or A or G harp) got me moving around the top as comfortably as I do
on the bottom. Basically, I spent a year learning tunes out of Steve
Kaufman's Bluegrass Workout (Homespun Tapes).

Ken

>>   I have been playing the upper octave of my harp quite a bit
>> now... I am still wondering what's the best way to overcome "the
>> great divide" between holes 6, 7 and 8. Any tips, exercices ?
>
> I detest "exercises", though they would probably improve my playing.
> I learned to move from the lower end of the harp (hole 6 and below)
> to the upper end and back by finding a couple of licks that worked
> and using those to transition up and down.

Ken Ficara                              [See header for email address]

Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.

- -- Igor Stravinsky

            This quote randomly chosen from The Quote Server:
                    http://www.ficara.net/quotes