Re: The great divide...

Ken Ficara wrote:

> The licks Tim describes are good for learning note positions up there,
> but I don't find practicing licks any more interesting than doing
> exercises. I got comfortable with the top end of the harp by learning
> fiddle tunes. Playing those fast melodies (mostly in first position on
> the top end of a low D or A or G harp) got me moving around the top as
> comfortably as I do on the bottom. Basically, I spent a year learning
> tunes out of Steve Kaufman's Bluegrass Workout (Homespun Tapes).
>
> Ken
>
>>>   I have been playing the upper octave of my harp quite a bit
>>> now... I am still wondering what's the best way to overcome "the
>>> great divide" between holes 6, 7 and 8. Any tips, exercices ?
>>

>> I detest "exercises", though they would probably improve my playing.
>> I learned to move from the lower end of the harp (hole 6 and below)
>> to the upper end and back by finding a couple of licks that worked
>> and using those to transition up and down.

> Ken Ficara                              [See header for email address]
>
> Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.
>
> -- Igor Stravinsky
>
>            This quote randomly chosen from The Quote Server:
>                    http://www.ficara.net/quotes

Louis Armstrong recorded a tune called "Laughing Louis" in the thirties.
  In one of the breaks he played a beautiful lick that Armstrong
collectors revere.  Supposedly when someone asked him about it he said
it was from an exercise he played when he was a kid.

You never know when something will come in handy.

- --
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

  http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly