Newbie questions

> My thinking is that, since I haven't already invested
> a lot of time learning the more standard tuning, I
> might as well start out with something thar might offer
> more versatility. Does this make sense?
It certainly did to me when I started learning chromatic harmonica a few months ago! I
looked at the various tunings and decided that diminished made the most sense for the
music I want to play (jazz, Brazilian). It does make playing in the tonic key of the
instrument (in your case D) more difficult, but once you've mastered that level of
difficulty the other keys doesn't get much more difficult. With the three "fingerings" you
can play in all twelve keys!

- -Keith