Re: Hole 1 Overblow

On Jul 16, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Eric Neumann wrote:

> sometimes the risk of waiting two years to get a custom diatonic
> outweighs the need - for some at least. By risk of waiting I mean -
> anything can happen in the span of two years - God forbid.

  I once ordered an accordion. By the time it came, I didn't care any
more.

> This is why I lean more toward the risk of modifying harps on my own. I
> can spend the same two years improving my own skills at reed shaping,
> tuning, et al.

  I can get a lot of fishing in with 2 yrs to play with.

> Does anyone else share that opinion? Or am I just really being a
> cheap-o?

  'I' don't think you're being a cheap-o. The problem with custom harps
are:
1...there are only so many customizers
2...each one can only do so many harps
3...only certain customizers are famous
4...people would rather have a famous customizer
5...the demand exceeds the supply
6...the price (while justified), scares some
7...the beginning parts are suspect and require a lot of work
8...it takes several DAYS to do one right (parts have to stabilize)
  I probably missed several aspects, but will quit while I'm ahead. :)

smokey-j