Re: SM 58 Question

In a message dated 7/21/04 9:06:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kenficara@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I assume you folks are playing these Sennheisers on the mic stand, not
handheld? How do they work for vocals?

Ken
yeah,

 I play mine on the mic stand. For vocals I think they would work fine. My
theory is that the Sennheiser has tried to incorporate some aspects of ribbon
microphones (an emphasis on bottom mids and also a high end that's easy on the
ears). The Shure 58 always seems to have that really big top end and the bottom
end with the low mids tends to be a bit diminished. The Shure 58 tends to be
a bit more honkish (which might be why a lot of harp players like it for
amplified- James Cotton, Carey Bell), but I think that is the sound of that
microphone and if that is what you want then you should go in that direction. Both
the Sennheiser e835 and the Shure 58 are great vocal and acoustic mics, and I do
not think you would be a at a loss if you chose either one.

Andrew