Re: Volume Question

<quote>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:16:11 EDT
From: SHANE1198@xxxxxxx
Subject: Volume Question

If you are using a Mic with a volume control, is it better to have the mic
volume all the way up or the amp volume, if this makes sense? It seems if
the
amp is cranked I am in danger of feeding back if I turn the mic up to high.
</quote>

Hi,
My own opinion is to leave the mic turned up at full, if you're getting too
much feedback, turn your amplifier down.
Too much gain and/or treble cause feedback.
Standing directly in front of your amp while cupping the microphone causes
feedback.  If you want a good tone, its best to keep the mic at full bore,
and adjust the amp.  More on fighting feedback and getting tone here
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ampdtone.html

The only occasion I've found volume knobs useful was when I was using the
POD, my mics were too hot for it causing nasty clipping, so I'd turn them
down just enough to stop the clipping.   Having flicked the POD, I've ripped
out the volume controls that some of my bullet mics had, and replaced them
with on/off switches.

- -- G.