Asked about gain levels on harp amps & mics and such because of feed back issues and other related stuff . Many good reasons given by all who responded , so here is my contributional for what its worth rant .

Hurricane Sez :

A volume control on a harp mic is a " ¡ Must Have ! " for me for these five following reasons :

#1 :

No two room's acoustics are the same where ever you gig and the tailored response I get from my mic's volume control gets me the sound I want and demand every time I get up on stage whether I use a personal amp or have it controlled by a P.A. , yep me and no one else to mess with - - -

 - - - - -" ¡ MY Sound ! "

#2 :

In situations where your using a P.A. direct you get to have control over your harp's volume when a P.A. guy sets your gain and you get to " FOOL " him when you tell him you have your harp mic gain set at it's optimum and in reality you have it at half gain to be able to have a little fudge factor " head room " on your side for " nuance " type things you would otherwise have no control over being at the mercy of the P.A. guy ( who might not be quite that sharp a fellow when it comes to things harmonica ) and be lost in the bands overall sound as opposed to being heard up front and on top ( provided you deserve to be there in the first place , other wise , if you really suck , you end up sucking big time , so YOU take your chances , I did and never looked back ) when the time comes in a song for your solo and when to lay back and just " comp " with tastie stuff at full throttle physically on your harp but reduced  mic gain . This way you " ADD " to the fullness and still not !
step on the main axe or vocalist and get smiles from them instead frowns for not being in the " pocket " to make them shine with all the really nice and tasties soft textures that make something go from amateur ( isn't that what everyone here appears to be looking for over all ? ) to a really pro sounding harmonica musician with super chops that turn a song into something totally new and awe inspiring as opposed to how it sounded before you got there .

#3 :

What about adding an additional texture like a guitar man does with swells on his guitar on chords & individual notes when applying the volume master on his guitar to help add a different dimension that an acoustic mic'd guitar has a problem reproducing ? ( This ones for you " G " buddy cause I like you mate ) . The strengths of any instrument are what all of us seek out and exploit to the tenth degree power , we search and find as much as possible that one can employ with their harmonica ( or any other musical instrument for that matter ) so as to add and make contrasts and comparative subtle changes in the sound and its characteristics . And the harp mic's volume control  when used the same way as a talented astute disciple of the electric guitar ( and those who have acoustic electric guitars with an accessible volume control ) does to add a certain " texture " be it what ever he feels it to be and what ever the listener(s) believes it to be is a definite plus to have in y!
our harmonica sound quiver if your a gigging musician period :)

#4 :

When you have your gain where you want it on your amp or the P.A. and its break time , you just turn the sucker down to zero gain and no worries and then when you return its ready to do it to it .If some one is up on stage that doesn't belong touching your stuff while your on break you hear it right away .

#5 :

As you learn about your amp set up and live playing on P.A. systems and sound dudes and dudettes , you will see just how to dial in the sound you always dreamed of playing , it just a matter of time , the more you do it the better you get at it . To get the Chicago crunch and squawk you learn on the job , most of did it that way and maybe it might not be as fast a way to learn for you , but so far it ain't a bad way and I liked it .

In closing :

Shane .

I fully and firmly believe the harmonic is a " Lead " instrument and should be played that way , but besides it's apparent lead potential power in it's sound , it also is an excellent background filler instrument when you know how many chords are available on a diatonic and use them softly , gently and tenderly when the oppertunity(s) arise and you get to really go orbital and ballistically soft and tender with the aid of your volume controlled harp mic .

OOOOOOOOOOOO Yeah Harmonica Volume Control :

I  Can't Live With Out One ,& I Never Leave Home Without One :)

To the not so serious harmonica musicians :

All the above is for the person who is really serious amd wants to excell and get better in terms of being a professional or professional type harmonica player otherwise YMMV .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx