Fwd: XB-40 and Valve Feedback

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eric" <blork@xxxx> wrote:
Well just got my brand new XB-40 in the key of G today.  Initially i
was extremely delighted with this insturment, but as i continued to
play i noticed that on the lower holes(specifically 1-4) changing
from blowing to draw notes creates quite an audible valve popping
noise, and occasionally causes the note to stutter.  I assume this
is a function of the unique valve design.  Will this problem go away
with age?  Is it merely an unpreventable side effect of valveing a G
harp?  Hopefully I can get used to this, but right now it is really
annoying.
- --- End forwarded message ---

I have two G and two A harps that I play frequently (and low F and C
that I play less often). I ocasionally experience valve pop and
buzz, but no more than I might on chromatic.

Playing with anything in your mouth that might cause valves to
stick - residue from food or drink, mostly - could potentially cause
this. It's possible but seems unlikely that the instrument could
ahve come with sticky valves.

Do you have other valved instruments, such as hald-valved diatonics
or valved chromatics? If your experience with them is similar, then
you might want to look to your mouth and throat as a possible
culprit. If not, there may be something unique to this individual XB-
40.

I don't think the XB-40 design makes valve problems any more likely
than on other valved instruments.

Winslow