Re: mic question

Moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:  Wed, June 2, 2004 6:58 am=20

>I recently got a new element in a JT30,.. It sounds great, but when I =
used it with my Blues Jr. last weekend, feedback got me. I could only =
get the amp to about 2 1/2 before it started to screech. I did all the =
usual things, as far as changing amp=20
placement and changing where I stood in relation to PA speakers, but =
none of it helped a lot. The only thing I could think of was that I was =
in a hurry when I left=20
home and I only had a really cheap cord. Will an inferior cord make that =
much=20
difference? =85<

PL500@xxxxxxx wrote: Wed, June 2, 2004 7:56 am

>I doubt that the cord will cause feedback, but I would assume a new =
element=20
would. If the element put into the JT-30 was a CR or CM element that is =
what is=20
making the amp feedback. I had a Shure 707A element a while back and I=20
experimented with Crystal, Ceramic and CM elements in it and found that =
the worse=20
overall element was the CM. It would feedback at the drop of a hat and =
tended to=20
be way too distorted and nearly unworkable in most situations. I would =
say=20
your new element is the reason for your feedback.<

I admit that I do not have the knowledge that Andrew (PL500@xxxxxxx) has =
concerning what happens when you change various elements in microphones =
though I would like to know more as I know that, as he says, they can =
make a very big difference. I buy a microphone, I plug it into an amp, I =
play.

I have to respectfully disagree however and say that I have seen cases =
where a cheap cord was used, feedback occurred, the chord was changed =
and the feedback went away. However, I cannot tell you why. =20

I look at it like this. Why buy a =9255 Thunderbird then try to save =
money on the motor oil. Always use the best quality cords that you can =
find.

I do agree however that a cord may not be your problem Steve. Oftentimes =
feedback on a harmonica amp comes down to the treble setting being too =
high.

I would try setting up your amp as you usually do then turn the treble =
all the way down. If the feedback stops then you have found your problem =
and you can then start turning the treble up until the feedback comes =
back and then, of course, turn it down a bit.

In other words, use your treble as a volume control. Then go out and buy =
yourself a good cord. I hope that this helps you.

Keith Dunn

 =20