Re: Fender Bassman RI- ~Hot Tube Configuration~

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Robb Bingham" <robbingham@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 10:05 PM
Subject: Fender Bassman RI- ~Hot Tube Configuration~

> ~M~ mentioned the ~~Fender Bassman RI
> -with the suggested hot tube configuration~~.
> Can somebody say more about this [Or tell me
> where to look]?I can't get the archive to
> work. Do ya think the same
> config would help a Twin Reverb?
> THANKS,
> Robb

Hi Robb,
I don't know about a hot configuration, but the best sounding is to set it
up like a REAL '59 Bassman, from the correct NOS tubes and properly
rebiasing the amp. I have read that someone had the bias run hotter than
what was specified for the amp, but to me, it's a bad deal to to this
because what you risk here is blowing out tubes much faster, and to me, it's
a poor substitue for lousy acoustic tone and chops to begin with. The only
one that makes sense is for a Twin Reverb, where you'd use 4-6V6 power tubes
instead, but the amp has to be properly rebiased to do this or it is gonna
be tube blowout nightmare. All Twins/Twin Reverbs since 1960 use solid state
rectifiers, so it may not sound as good as you might think (usually with 6V6
power tubes, 5Y3 rectifier tubes are often used in conjunction with them).

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com