Re: Lip protection help needed

<quote>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 15:59:14 -0500
From: Dina Janzen and Jim Rossen <dlj@xxxxxx>
Subject: Lip protection help needed

I need to protect my lower lip from the sharp left lower corner of the
coverplates of my S20's and LO's.   I am hoping the need will be temporary.

I am thinking about using some sort of putty to make a rounded contour over
the corner.  Seems like a dental or medical product would be best address
toxicity concerns.  Anyone know of a suitable dental putty/filler?

The coverplates of Bluesmaster and Golden Melody harps are fine and it looks
like Turbo lids would also work.  But, I would prefer to modify the numerous
harps I have.

Thanks-
Jim R
</quote>

I use a rotary tool with a rubber abbrasive wheel to take down and round
over sharp edges and corners of harmonicas.

A cheap but slightly more time consuming solution would be to use:
*  fine grit Wet and dry sanding paper (black, used for automative body
work, you can buy them by the sheet at any reasonably stocked hardware
store, a sheet of 600 and another of 1200 grit should be adequate),
* a nail buffer (the sort that has four different colour coded grades of
buffer, drugstore/chemist usually stock them amongst all the ladies
cosmetics & what have you),
* metal polish like "AutoSol" & a rag.
Take the instrument apart.
Round off the corners using the Wet and Dry (reedplates and/or comb,
whatever's causing the problem), start with the rough stuff, finish off with
the fine stuff, then use the back of the wet and dry for a finer polish.
You can use the nail buffer for giving a smooth finish - I've found they
work well on plastic combs.  As does metal polish rubbed into a rag.

Reassemble and test, if its still causing problems, then something is still
rough and needs to be polished down - holding components up to the light and
angling them you can see just how polished the finish is or isn't.

This is routine stuff for my own instruments.
I have a sensitive lips, so I'm picky about what I rub across them.

Cheers,
G.