Re: Standardizing Skill Levels

Will Vogtman wrote:

For other instruments, say clarinet, a student is labelled as
beginning, intermediate, or advanced by a set of standards.

Does any such rating system exist for harmonica.

Will,

I think the short answer is No.  I don't believe there is a
"standardized" set of criteria for the various playing levels.  Dave
Barrett does have his criteria, and they are as good as any other.  Mike
Will ( http://myquill.cc//  ) has a list of Diatonic Tehcniques, that he
used to label as beginner, intermediate, etc.  But, he dropped the
labels.  I think because he found that many players don't necessarily
progress from a to b to c to d.  Some jump from a to d and then pick up
b and c, and then jump again.

I think each of the teachers on this and other lists have their own
view of what a beginner should be able to do to advance to the next
level.  I also think that a standardized approach/criteria would do well
for advancing the instrument.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com