RE: battery amp

the lectrosonics mouse is a great street amp, it runs on rechargeable
batteries, gets LOUD if you want, plays for a few hours between chargings,
and i think has great tone for a solid state device.  they don't make 'em
any more but occasionally you can find deals.  a lot of people don't realize
that with dead ones the problem is often the (relatively cheap) marine
batteries.  these are easy to get and install/replace yourself.
the amp has a -10dB switch that, when on, makes it great for playing indoors
and when off makes it LOUD, amazing for such a physically small amp. it also
has an output so you can use it as a crunchbox with another amp or run it to
a PA.  it has a carrying handle, and when you flip it on its side makes a
nice sitting surface.  you can read adam gussow's book "mr. satan's
apprentice" for a thorough description of the busking possibilities a mouse
provides you with.  there is also a larger model, the maxi mouse, although
i've been more than happy with my regular mouse over the last few years.

hope this helps,

matt