From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Lawrence Pratt
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 2:32 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Standardizing Skill Levels

Wil V's post got me to thinking. This could evolve into an interesting
thread. Why don't we all list what we think should be criteria for each
level. My approach is to break it down to three categories, Physical,
Musical, and Tehcnique. Here is a first cut.

Beginner:
physical criteria- embouchure decision, holding, basic breathing
musical criteria- 1st position scale, 2nd position scale
technique criteria- single note, chords, bent notes, vibrato, acoustic
focus

Intermediate:
physical criteria- embouchure enhancement, enhanced breathing, holding
a mic, amplified playing
musical criteria- 3rd position scale, I,IV,V progression
technique criteria- shakes, shimmers, flutters, articulation, double
stops, enhanced vibrato, octaves, hand action.

Advanced:
physical criteria- integrated embouchures, circular breathing,
musical criteria- multiple scales in positions above 3rd, counterpoint
technique criteria- over blows, over draws

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com

- --