Re: JJ tubes? Anyone tried this tube trick? (*harp-GEAR-related*)

Hey kcmojo,

I've been running JJ tubes in my Blues Jr for over
a year now and have also tried that tricky
12AX7/12AU7 tube in the first pre-amp position
(closest to the power tubes) on the advice of the
Eurotube dealer dude. However, my thick ears
noticed no big "improvement" in sound, so I went
back to the a regular JJ 12AX7 in that slot.

JJ's EL84 power tubes are a BIG improvment over the
stock Groove Tubes... Much smoother, but plenty of
punch and they can still be over driven nicely.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

- --- Marion.Spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Anyone had any experience with the JJ tubes, sold
> by Eurotubes? According
> to the Eurotubes site, he is using JJ 6V6's as a
> drop in to tame down 6L6
> amps, they have good tone, and they live even
> with plate voltages as high
> as 480vdc.
>
> Here is something new to me:  they have a preamp
> tube available that is
> half a 12AX7/ half 12AU7 that would work in the
> phase inverter position to
> offset the waveform (same thing Gerald Weber does
> with his "waveform
> symmetry" knob except non-adjustable). This would
> work in some but not all
> circuits. I incorporated this control when I
> built my amp, and if anyone
> is wondering about it, it works. This tube sounds
> like a cheap and easy
> way to help out an amp that is just too clean.
>
> kcmojo

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens