RE: musicality, expressiveness, soul

That's an excellent question, John.  I don't know how to answer other than
to confirm that I definitely feel I am more musically expressive than I used
to be.  I listen to the cd I recorded with my band in 2000...most of the
songs we still perform regularly, and I think, "I play this so much better
now".

I know that I've incorporated more TB'ing, octaves, and better cupping
techniques.  My tone, which I didn't think was bad then, is way better now.
My vibratos have gotten much more natural in feel, and less forced.  I think
that my phrasing has matured, but it's hard to quantify.

I don't think I've really been influenced by anybody that I wasn't before,
but I have consciously studied the masters more heavily...particularly my
favorites Rod Piazza, Billy Branch, William Clarke, Jerry Portnoy, Gary
Smith, and Rick Estrin, Little Walter always, and some horn players, esp.
the Roomful of Blues cats.  If there's one single new influence in the past
few years it would be the incredible Dennis Gruenling.

In short, there's no quantitative answer, just you continue what you do with
an eye towards improvement and the musicality and expressiveness develop
naturally.

Hambone
www.thekingbees.com

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up ? now 3 months FREE!