Re: SBS Marine Band question

Grant Kester

>I have a C Steve Baker Marine Band and the lowest draw note
>consistently vibrates against the metal cover, making a plinking sound.
>Does anyone have any good fixes for this problem? The reed is gapped
>correctly and I'm reluctant to reduce the gap further. If it was a
>normal sized Marine Band I could try a Turbolid, but it's an SBS so
>it's extra long.

Simplest solution is to valve the blow reed (ie, place a valve over
the first reed on the outside of the upper reedplate). This reduces
the travel of the draw reed. You might need to gap the draw reed a
little wider after you do this, as it will have a greater tendency to
choke if you attack it sharply.

 -- Pat.