Re: Standardizing...Going to Spah etc

On Jun 11, 2004, at 2:33 PM, Ken Wolman wrote:

> One thing I focus on in some fabulous stuff....

   smoj...yeah, Robb has a way of taking everything I say and making it
much clearer and easier to understand.

> Robert Paparozzi wrote:
>

>>     In the 70's 80's and 90's Huang, Bonfiglio and Myself continued
>> teaching at The Turtle Bay Music School in NYC. Along with Bob
>> Shatkin, Adam Gussow and Bob Meehan down at the New School. Today, we
>> are lucky to have Barrett & Gindick out on the road employing stellar
>> player/instructors like : Iceman and Gruenling to Levy and Oskar etc.
>> Iceman doing the Augusta seminars as well as Filisko's  "teach
>> ins".....we are in good hands..(even though much more is needed in
>> Classical and Jazz)......BUT.....

   smoj...ain't too many chromatic players/instructors working the
circuit either

> It never occurred to me to try the Adult School route or even a small
> local music school.  God, but I miss New York where I worked for
> years.  Anything you could have wanted.

   smoj...wouldn't have helped ME. I worked a job where I never knew my
schedule more than a week or two in advance.

>>     All this, does not detract from a player who has learned to play
>> Harmonica by ear or by his/her own study methods. There will always
>> be GREAT self-made players and bravo to that!

   smoj...ouch, it take sooooo log to do it that way.

> It's been hinted to me that Larry Adler was the author of his own
> legend, and that part of it is that he was self-taught on the
> harmonica (I don't know if he came to it from another instrument).

   smoj...No, he won the Baltimore News contest. Harmonica was his only
spoon.

>   Given the time at which he lived--he was born in 1914?--I wouldn't
> be surprised if it were true, and that the man was simply a genius
> with a frightening musical gift.

   smoj...some people are "Naturals". He may have been one of them. In
any case, he wasn't considered good enough for Minevitch. Also, it took
him several years to get the tunes right. Fortunately, he was such a
wizz-kid that no one (except the experts) ever realized that he was
taking "liberties" with the tunes.

>>    As Ken Wolman's post suggests, a few more teachers to study one on
>> one with wouldn't hurt either.

   smoj..some players WON't teach. I have been approached countless
times but I won't do it. First of all, I'm STONE not good enough. So
then I'm told "you're enough better than me to teach me what you DO
know". So then my answer is find a real teacher.

> Well, Ken Wolman is largely a jerk:-)

  smoj...HEY, you're talking about one of my friends..... :)