Re: Standardizing...Going to Spah etc

Hi,
Now I can seriously relate to this posting quite well. I'd also like to add
that the standarding of skills approach also needs one other ingredient far
too many music schools often don't teach particularly well, if at all, and
that is with the exception of the classical and now the jazz oriented
schools, not just teach technical proficency, but how these things relate
PROPERLY within the context of the various OTHER genres of music being
played, basically meaning how everything relates to, and FITS IN WITH  THE
GROOVE, as some genres require being right on top, some ahead and/or behind
in varying degrees, and in many years dealing with musicians who come from
many music schools, including a few well known major ones, this is an area
that's ALWAYS seems lacking, regardless of the instrument. Good teachers are
important as they shape the students, and some teachers aren't well schooled
in this area either, and knowingly or unknowingly perpetuate a snob attitude
at genres other than what they specialize in, and not enough teachers
encourage experimenting enough and sometimes are too much of a stickler of
doing everything by rote, and so by doing that, it's no wonder you see too
many who are totally helpless without the sheet music in front of them. In
NO way am I dissing the skill of learning sight reading skills, and
definitely not theory, because at least in my experience here in the US (the
east coast anyway), too many harp players are seriously theory challenged
and perpetuate the stereotype of the harmonica player being the dumbest,
most undisciplined musician on the bandstand.

Anyway, enough of my ranting for a while!!!

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com