Giving kids musical pleasure was Re: Standardizing...Going to Spah etc

In a message dated 6/14/04 11:30:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jwdixon_sbis@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> How do you make sure this doesn't happen?  I want to
> give my kids the pleasure of the musical moments that aren't
> planned and everyone can get their groove going and magical things
> happen.  I also want them to have a good theory foundataion, but if
> giving them that foundation takes away the best application of
> theory and the most pleasure from music, is it worth it?  Maybe
> "band" isn't the way.  Private piano lessons?  Private guitar
> lessons?  We all know how hard it is to find a good local harp
> instructor.  Any input would be appreciated.

Take them to hear live music - cocktail pianist, folk singer, jazz combo,
outdoor local blues show. Find out what turns them on. Have them talk w/the
artist. Make music approachable to them.

Then, audition teachers - don't just take the first one that comes along. Try
to match temperament w/your children. If they like pop music, don't hook them
up with an old lady that insists on scales and classical music. There is a
whole market out there of instructors. The extra effort it takes for a good
match is worth it.

The Iceman