Re: was standardized-now relax.

On Jun 16, 2004, at 3:36 PM, rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I play harp for fun.

  Me too. If it's not going to be fun, what's the point. If it's going
to become just another job, who needs it? I have done enough crappy
jobs in my life that I don't need another drudge. I sure as hell don't
need another boss either. If I can't play what I want and have to
acqueisce to everyone else's wishes, I can take a hike. I don't want to
be pinned down. A lot of professional players ARE pinned down in one
way or another. Imagine being known for a particular piece of music and
then having to perform it over & over (ad infinitum). Gad, that would
bore the shit out of ME.

>  I have no desire to excel,

  I once did, but one has to be realistic. Excelling takes a different
breed of dedication.

>  I have no burning desire to
> become the best harp player in the world.

  Naah, that would be a lot of pressure. Maybe some would find the
notoriety to be enjoyable, but that brings with it a certain amount of
baggage too.

>  I have enough of an ear that I work
> on my tone and intonation so it's not painful.

  As long as the seals don't bark :)

>  I practice so I can play in a
> band.

  I DON't practice, so the band has to put up with it.

>  Playing in a band is fun.

  Tell me about it.

> I love playing music but I refuse to let it run
> my life.

  OK, To a professional musician, it IS a life. Most of the rest of the
earth is engaged in a work-a-day series of events aimed at making a
living. While most of the "stars" started out as regular goombahs with
regular jobs, they eventually moved on to musical self sufficiency.
This takes a LOT of dues. Dues most people either don't have or are
unwilling to pay.

> There's a whole world of musicians who do exactly what Mr Tate
> suggests. Nothing
> wrong with that attitude. It's not for everyone.

  And THAT says it all.                    smo-joe