Re: Musician's Union?

Hey T
Re: joining or not joining that is the question.
Here is what I would do if I were you.
Take some time to go down to your Local and interview with the officers
there.
Ask the exact questions you posted here.
Ask If you can get a copy of a "Leaders List" and call them for interviews.
It has been my experience that no Union office is the same. Some are helpful
some are not. Some may require an audition.
I interviewed the Uniion pres in the Local in Louisville KY and he mentioned
an audition was required.  However here in Baltimore, no audition was
required.
Local 802 in NYC and the one in LA are probably the strongest Unions . And it
is my understanding that the Local in Wash DC is pretty well run also.
You can go online and do some searching there.
If you record there are union contracts designed to address that exact issue
however be advised not all recording venues will honor the contract re:
royalties etc.
You can ask the recording venue if they will accept the Union contract .
Another source is the Musician paper, the "International Musician".
Your local should have a few of these laying around and you can get an
outdated copy to check on union issues and benefits etc.
If you are planning to be a full time player doing Broadway shows or perform
as a session player the Union could be the way to go based on what you learn
from the above.
If not then you will need to decide if the Union is right for you based on
your needs.
Hope this helps.
Doug

 Doug's Cds