Real Book

Just a note of warning: all the professional jazz musicians I've met go back to the
original recordings, not the old Real Book, which is unreliable on a lot of tunes (the
chords at the beginning of Round Midnight are not the way Monk played them, for
instance). I've read that the Chuck Sher real books are reliable.

Playing the RB version around a pro can get you disparaging looks, at the very
least!...

- - -Keith

Yes I've seen those "looks" many times.  I think some jazz pros do it just so they can
be "too hip for the room".    Even if the chords sound just fine, they'll insist the
chords are wrong.   I've also seen some musicians claim the Real Book chords are wrong
just to mask their own shortcomings.  But once in a while you'll get a musician who,
instead of complaining, just smiles knowingly, takes out his pencil, writes in his own
changes and passes them out to the other musicians.   THAT'S a real pro!