RE: Musician's Union?

T Albanese asked:
I've got a few questions regarding joining the AFM. Are the requirements the
same in every city?
________
There are no real requirements, other than a willingness to join and
a checkbook. <g>  But initiation fees (and dues) vary from Local to
Local.  For example it costs much more to join in L.A. than it does
here in Santa Barbara (only 90 miles away,) and the dues are also
higher there.  OTOH, the L.A. union also has a better track record at
actually *getting* you gigs. (?) If you're going to join, it may pay
off to shop around...
________
Are you required to sight read music?
________
No.
________
Is there a test?
________
No.  I am told by my father that in the old days (1940s,) there was
in fact a test, but no longer.
________
Is it always a requirement to belong to the union if you intend to be part of a
legitimate recording project, or does that vary?
________
Depends on your definition of 'legitimate.'  If you're recording for
a project on a major label, then yes, it will be a union gig and
there will be union contracts involved.  On the other hand if you are
recording for a smaller label or an indy, it probably wouldn't matter
if you are in or not. If you are performing in Broadway shows, doing
background music for TV or film, or playing on national commercial
jingles, you pretty much have to be in the union.
________
  Should you try to avoid it?
________
Depends on your frame of mind -- some folks see the union as a great
benefit, others see it as a pain. <shrug>  The AFofM has many fine
things going for it, from recording session residuals to health care
benefits.  There is strength in numbers.  If a club rips you off, you
can report it to the union and theoretically the union could pressure
- -- or even boycott -- the club in your support.

The downsides are the fees, dues, restrictions and paperwork.  You
have to also pay "work dues" (in addition to your regular dues) which
amount to a few bucks for every casual you play, whether it's a club
date, a wedding or a private party.  When you travel you are expected
to pay these 'work dues' to the jurisdiction you are visiting.  Also,
union members are prohibited from playing with non-members.

Additionally, if you're doing music for TV you will also be expected
to join AFTRA (which has much stiffer initiation fees than the AFM.)

Speaking from 35 years personal experience, I have joined and
unjoined the AFM more times than I have digits on my hands and feet
- -- this is because dues are paid quarterly, and there is a provision
that, once you have joined, a member can 'resign in good standing,'
then rejoin again for a small fee. In that manner I've been able to
be "in" when necessary, but can also let it slide when the union
session work falls off...

Hoping this is helpful,

cheers,

Tom Ball