Re: question: William Clarke's "The Boss"

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jp Pagan" <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 10:50 AM
Subject: question: William Clarke's "The Boss"

> Hi all,
>
>   i'm having trouble distinguishing the right pitches
> in the intro to Clarke's "The Boss," from his album
> "The Hard Way". it's an ascending run. it doesn't seem
> to be chromatic, but i can't tell what it is. can
> anyone help?
>
>   thanks in advance,
>
>                 --Jp

Hi JP,
>From talking to him between our sets when I opened for him about 3 months
before he passed away, he's DEFINITELY playing a chromatic in G using a 270
in F playing it in 3rd position. He seldom used 16 hole chromatics and he
used 270's tuned to 3 keys: Bb, F, and C, much like his mentor George Smith
did (although George also used 64's as well as 270's in G and A). The
pattern is really easy to play, basically starting off at hole #1 draw on
the 270, then 2 draw, then 3 blow, 3 blow slide in, 3 draw, 4 draw, 5 blow,
5 blow slide in, 5 draw, and then the pattern repeats ascending.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com