Got to see Hazmat Modine

Hey all,

  Finally got down to the village to see Hazmat Modine at Terra Blues.

  The band consists of two harmonicists, guitar, tuba, and drums. Wade
Schuman takes on the vocals and plays diatonic harp. And Randy Weinstein plays
diatonic, chromatic, and a Sheng (new to me!). The Sheng seemed to me like a
minature pipe organ that is held and blown into (maybe drawn into also, I could not
tell)  for chordal sound and rhythm. It has to be heard not descibed . The
harmonica's complimented each other very effectively. Truly ensemble type playing
among all the musicians. The tuba played a lot of bass, but ocassionally the
band would strike  a rhythm and the tuba would blow an incredible lead.

   A very unique band to say the least, but they state the music forcefully
none theless. Hazmat Modine reminds me in their approach to blues and  folk
music, the way  The Band did in  their day. But in their own way. I really should
not try to put a label on this music other than good. Especially good  were
"Who Walked In When I Walked Out?", "Bowslam", and a great rendition of
Butterfield's " I Broke My Baby's Heart" ( I bought the CD ). I enjoyed every tune,
and to ice the cake Rob Paparozzi hapen to show up and sat in for half the set!
 Three exceptional harp players at once!  Proof being - by each not stepping
on each other's notes, at the same time supporting each others' playing, and
at the same time adding to the tune. The audiance was really digging it.

   I was glad to be there. Finally a band where sound is important. Sounds
created not imitated. Wade you done good. Real good.

                                 Best of everyting,
                                               Chris Mastakas