Re: Got to see Hazmat Modine

Chris Mastakas wrote:

> Finally got down to the village to see Hazmat Modine at Terra Blues.
>
>The band consists of two harmonicists, guitar, tuba, and drums. Wade
>Schuman takes on the vocals and plays diatonic harp. And Randy
>Weinstein plays diatonic, chromatic, and a Sheng (new to me!). The
>Sheng seemed to me like a minature pipe organ that is held and blown
>into (maybe drawn into also, I could not tell)  for chordal sound and
>rhythm.

The sheng is often described as "the ancestor of the harmonica"
(something of an oversimplification) and "the first free reed
instrument" (simply not true). If hearing it has sparked your
curiosity, you may be interested in the following pages:

http://www.patmissin.com/history/eastern.html
http://www.patmissin.com/history/sheng.html

 -- Pat.