Re: Re: Jason Ricci and John Coltrane

PL500@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Don't feel bad , there was a time when Jason sucked just like the rest of us
> losers. He just worked his ass off till he became a great player. What you see
> in Jason is the product of dedication and work that spans over a decade. The
> thing you should take from Jason is that if you put in the time and work, you
> can come out at a pretty good level of playing.

well, "pretty good" is not what comes to mind when i hear him.
but i get your point.

> The thing that Jason really
> stressed to me when I was taking lessons from him was to listen to as much music
> as possible

i certainly do that.

> and also let myself develop at a level that was suitable for me.

true.  the fact is that playing harp is just one thing of many competing
for my time and attention.  the others being things like work, family,
and community, i'm operating on limited resources.  so for what i can
afford to put into it, i'm getting plenty out, in terms of enjoyment.

> I think it was great advice and definite reasons not to pitch your harps.

indeed.  i got over it.  i've only recently arrived at the point where
playing is fun, and not just frustrating.  that's a big hurdle; one that
has roadblocked me in the past.  so i'll keep at it, and have fun,
and if i never sound like jason ricci, i'll at leaset sound better than
i do now.

thanks for the encouragement.

- ----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.