The Musician's Handbook--the other side--frustrations--confusions

What a read!

A great way to approach "being a musician" as a business.  This is a resource I will refer to over and over again.  I have met many musicians (myself not excluded here) who could use such a finishing school.

In the spirit of enjoying the process of becoming a professional musician, I would like to address the other side of music for a moment.  The first few points may seem disjoint, but I will bring them together in the end.

I have a day job as a high school math teacher.  As far as a job goes, I guess it's as good as it can get.  I don't look forward to work everyday, but I don't DREAD it on a regular basis.  I have the summers to play, write, and practice.

I LOVE my music.  It brings me peace in my darkest moods.  It is my "other" life.  (No, teachers do not live at school.  They do go home and have other lives.)

I would hate to turn music into something that "I don't look forward to . . . everyday, but I don't DREAD . . . on a regular basis."

So, I wonder . . .

do I REALLY want to turn my music into my profession?  Would I be happier playing polkas or teaching calculus?  I honestly don't know. (Admittedly, a bit of a simplification.)

But I DO want to contribute something to the music I love--perpetuate it in some way--open a few ears.

Mr. Singer's work still has value for my less-than-lofty goals.  I already incoporate some of his suggestions.  I intend to incoprorate others.

I love playing the harp.  I like some genres of music better than others, but they are all fun on the harp.   Some are a stretch--some are natural.  But all are fun.

But I wonder--would it be fun if I HAD to do it.  No sick days.  No retirement.  No insurance.  What about my family?

If I had none of those concerns, I would have been sleeping on pool tables long ago.

Or maybe I'm just scared. Fear of failure?  Can't leave a secure job?  Sour Grapes?

In any case, I can still carry my pocket full of therapy any old place I go.

Thanks for the ears.  That was rather cathartic.

Will

http://www.channelcatsbluesband.20m.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/willvogtman

Do you Yahoo!?