"Keep Your Eyes On The Road and Your Hands Upon The Wheel"

The NJ law only outlaws the use of hand-held phones while driving, and makes exceptions for emergencies.

It may be true that they can't stop you just for phone use, but the same was true for seatbelts when those laws first came out. Soon, they will be able to stop you. And if the new law doesn't bring in enough revenue - the fine will be raised.

Here in Nassau County NY, the fine is $1000 if you are caught. And they CAN stop you for it.

If the risk of talking on the phone is the same whether hands-free or not, then it should be illegal to talk to passengers, and listen to the radio in cars too, if we follow that logic.

Clearly, common sense tells us that talking on a hands-free phone should be LESS distracting than talking to a passenger - after all, there's no need to look at the person you are talking to on the phone.

Conclusion? Don't believe the politicians when they say it's about safety - it's about money, and control of the citizenry.

vini alesi

PS - Ken is right - most driving in NJ is done while stuck in traffic. On my way back to South Jersey on Friday nights, I encounter at least 3 separate traffic jams. The delta on my trip is 3.5 hours - it takes anywhere from 2.5 to 6 hours to get home - Lots of practice time!

PPS - I would venture to say a rack would interfere with safe driving as much as a hand-held cellphone does, or more. Particularly with a 10-hole diatonic - you would only be scanning about 30 degrees...

Garry Hodgson sez;

"Keith Freeman" <keith.freeman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  playing while driving
> This idea - which seems to be prevalent in the States - horrifies me. Over here in
> Holland a law was passed a while back banning the use of mobile phones while driving.

here in the states, it's hard to find someone on the road who *isn't*
yakking on a cell phone.

this thursday in nj a new law prohibits talking on the phone
while driving, though they can only ticket you if you've been stopped for some
other reason (excuse).

> Hands on the wheel at all times, folks!

i wonder if it's any safer playing harp if you're using a rack?
the original studies here that found driving while talking unsafe
found no difference between regular or hands-free usage.
though i question their methodology.

> Save the harmonica for when you're stuck in a
> traffic jam.

in many parts of the states, driving is synonymous with
being stuck in a traffic jam.

Ken Wolman sez:

> You are four times more likely to
> have an accident while driving and using a mobile phone at the same time. The same
> must apply to playing harmonica.
>
> Hands on the wheel at all times, folks! Save the harmonica for when you're stuck in a
> traffic jam.
>
> -Keith

I live in one part of New Jersey and work in another, 43.2 miles away.  Each morning it's me and my chrom, travelling together down that lonesome road.  Lonesome?  Not quite.  Given the traffic jams, the busted lights, the construction projects that narrow down three lanes to one, and the schoolbus drivers (well, now school's out), I'm at no loss for company.  But I'd rather blow the chrom in the jams and at lights.  I guess I should by now be playing like Toots.  Tons of practice time.  Hey, I'm trying.  I can become the Harper Laureate of New Jersey.

The Liberty Guys
Promoting Liberty, Free Enterprise, and Limited Government

http://www.libertyguys.org