Re: chromatic blues

- ----- Original Message -----
From: mcgovern

> I am a lunchbucket diatonic player. A while ago I learned the blues scale
on a c chromatic, playing in c. I  > like it. Question. So if I buy a G or D
chromatic, will the run  (in terms of blow/draw/button) be the same?
        steve

The short answer is,  "YES."

The long answer is:

The blow/draw/button pattern will be the same on any harp when you are
playing a given song in the key stamped on the cover of the harp.

On a single chromatic harp, you can play any song in any key but the
blow/draw/button pattern will be different for the same song played in
various keys. If we assume that you are a superior musician and have
practiced your scales in all keys and are familiar with the concept of key
signatures, then you only need a C chromatic.  However, these assumptions do
not apply to everyone.

There are several reasons to own chromatics in keys other than C:

* You know only one blow/draw pattern for the "do re mi..." scale but you
wish to play (usually "by ear"...you listen to a performance and play from
that memory) in other keys. This is the main reason for most former diatonic
players.
* You wish to use a 10 or 12 hole harp but the low end of the pitch range
isn't low enough. (A 16-hole harp covers the entire practical range of
chromatic harmonica notes. Bass harps are another subject.)
* You wish to play chords other than C and Dm.  You only get two triads on a
chromatic. The chromatic harmonica is a poor choice of instrument for
playing chords.
* You wish to read music written for a transposing brass or woodwind
instrument such as trumpet, clarinet, saxaphone, etc.

Vern

Visit my harmonica website: www.hands-free-chromatic.7p.com