Re: "Watching the World" by Triple Play

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Cathi Norton" <cathi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "G." <gigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: "Watching the World" by Triple Play

> Sometimes in print, it seems to me -- the feeling and connection of the
> music gets lost underneath the barrage of technical discussion.  It's dang
> easy for a newcomer to get overwhelmed. While I agree that
> learning is a fine thing, I like to remember that music is a great
> leveler. I think it's worth remembering that you don't
> have to know how to do open-harp-surgery to get and give joy in music.
> Joe Filikso once told me that the secret to teaching is to stay connected
> to that-- don't ever give the student too much at once...just enough to
> keep him/her connected to the joy (of learning and exploration) and not so
> much information (even out of generosity) that he/she gets overwhelmed.
> That blew my head open in a variety of ways and improved my teaching
skills
>  incredibly.  Upon hearing it, I thought, "of course!"  but it's a
> little harder to pull off.
>
> So play for the joy of it -- no matter what the "inner (OR outer)
> committee(s)" is (are) telling you.
>
> That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.
>
> Cathi N.

Hi Cathi,
I absolutely agree with what Joe Filisko says on this because everyone has a
different learning curve about things and it's far too easy give people
serious information overload no matter how well intended it may be. Very few
people are blessed with a photographic memory, and I know I'm not one of
those lucky few, many times people need to read and re-read everything,
partly out of having too much at once, and there is also another "X" factor:
attention span, as it seems like people these days seemingly have shorter
attention spans these days (though this clearly doesn't apply to everyone),
and some need just text, as some need visual, and some need a combination of
both.