From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Joe and Cass Leone
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 9:47 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Subject: new bassman ltd

On Mar 1, 2004, at 7:24 PM, Lsboogie44@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 2/28/2004 6:09:07 PM Central Standard Time,
> mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> tommy wrote:
> "before i buy one i wanna get some feedback on it.does anybody out
> there own
>  one or played through one.hor are they?"
> ======================
>
> prolly wont make u sound like jacobs. i say better to spend the money
> on
>  some good harps.
> mn
> I surmise from this statement then that some good harps will make u
> sound like jacobs.<g>

  Why not just sound like YOU. Be different. Be unique. Stand out.

>   To me, amps are like good cars.  I like to look at them, I like to
> study them, I like to drive them and I appreciate the better quality
> ones more than the lesser quality ones.  Since most quality cars are
> out of my price range these days, I like amps even more.  I appreciate
> how they were made 35 to 50 years ago.  When I look at a car, nobody
> tells me I would be just like Lance Armstrong if I got a bicycle
> instead of buying an expensive car.  When I look at buying a car,
> nobody tells me to work on my walking skills so I won't need a car.
>  Why do we always have this discussion when someone is a gearhead?
> Not picking on anyone here, but would someone write up a disclaimer to
> attach to gear related discussions to save time and promote political
> correctness?  Practice, lessons, experience, listening to other
> influences, asking questions of better harp players and lots of steady
> gigging should be in this disclaimer.  There are some great players
> that really get enjoyment from the amp thing.  Bottom line, it's just
> a gearhead thing. Let the man get an honest answer to his specific
> question.
> Boogie

   I think it just boils down to categories. What happens is that the
members who have been around for several years look at some of the
posts and say to themselves "Oh no, not another microphone post", or
stuff to that effect. They forget that the membership is constantly
changing and a newer member is asking a legitimate honest sincere
(innocent) question. Nothing wrong with THAT.

  Harp-l is supposed to relate to harmonicas. I would also assume that
playing same would be a valid category. I also think that tuning one
would be valid. As would maintenance, care, repair. I feel the
management has been SUPREMELY lenient allowing some threads (which had
no correlation) in running their course.

  What I seem to remember is that amps have been discussed over and over
and over and nothing was resolved (not that it had to be). Reason for
this non resolution was that old standby statement "All Depends". In
other words 50 different people are going to like about 25 different
amps for different reasons. It all depends on HOW they use them.
Constantly thrashing about amps and microphones ALWAYS gets the same
results. A plethora of posts saying "I like this because". Frankly, I
feel there have been an inordinate amount of posts on these items. To
this 'I' say, go try one out, if you like what it does, buy (steal) it.
Same with mics. Asking someone else's opinion is a looser because: I
have lived with the same woman for 37 yrs and I wouldn't ask HER crabs.

  This happens with other subjects too. People (for instance). How many
times can one read how Little Walter got" that" tone on the 6-9 draw
(and held it till Hell caved in). OR, how about 3 yrs ago when the "Kim
Wilson" thread went on and on for two solid weeks. Or how about
whenever someone gives a MERE opinion and this opens up WW III.
Actually, if one would take a tablet and keep score, very few posts are
ACTUALLY about harmonicas and how to play them.

  I read and disect EVERY post. None of the posts bothers me and I find
them all worthy of thought. Sooo, I am just tossing in the thought that
the ABOVE is what "May" be happening. Some of the "Veteran" harp-l'ers
have heard it all so often.

  The way I see it, ALL posts are good posts (until proven guilty) :)
  smo-joe