teaching

Cathi Norton writes:

>  Joe Filikso once told me that the secret to teaching is to stay connected
>  to that-- don't ever give the student too much at once...just enough to
>  keep him/her connected to the joy (of learning and exploration) and not so
>  much information (even out of generosity) that he/she gets overwhelmed.

So how do you go about doing this?  I'm a rotten teacher of harmonica. I
know too much and I'm unable to discern what's reasonable to impart to a
given individual.  I just start talking and don't shut up.  You're
absolutely right about Joe and teaching of all his various skills it
might be the one I'm the most impressed with.  Anyhow how do you figure
out what someone needs to know right now so they can move forward in
their playing?  I've pretty much given up any attempts at teaching even
though it's a frequent request.  People figure if you can play harmonica
well you ought to be able to teach.  You've hit the nail on the head
though, that's exactly what I do wrong.  My reaction has been to just
not even try anymore but I've got a 2 month old phone message on my
answering machine from a relative of the bass player in my band asking
for lessons.  You've rekindled a glimmer of hope for me.  fjm